#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; } Espresso Passione Espresso Passione: Mazzer mod no.3 - the sweep

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Mazzer mod no.3 - the sweep

Out of the box the Mazzer sweeps the doser relatively clean. However, some ground coffee is left behind. Fortunately, there is an easy mod that can be done to improve the Mini's performance in this respect. This time around Dan Kehn was kind enough to provide me with a few tips. Some electrical tape, a pair of scissors, a screwdriver and a bit of time (it took me 15-20 minutes) is all you need. I used electrical tape that was 38mm wide (narrower tape can be used just as well).

To get to the part you attach the tape to, you need to disassemble the internals of the doser. It is quick and easy. Just undo the screw on the top of the dosing mechanism, then do the same for the adjustment nut below it and after this, you can just lift off dosing mechanism. The very bottom part remains in and can do so as the vanes on the top part that you have just lifted off overlap with those of the lower part that remains in the doser.




The picture on the right shows all the components that came out (all of them metal by the way). You do need to undo two more screws from the bottom of the "star" on the right of the pic to get all the parts off each other as pictured. This will make applying the tape easier.




Then the mod itself. I cut piece from the tape, it does not really matter how long a piece, but what I did is cut a relatively long one (about 12 cm). I then folded the tape over about a third of its width and then did the same again so that the sticky / adhesive side that remains exposed was about a third of the width of the tape (perhaps a bit more). Folding the tape twice makes the portion that will be doing the sweeping a bit thicker, less "bendy" and hopefully more durable. I then applied the tape to the vanes of the doser "star". Remember, I had cut an approximately 12 cm long piece and this meant that once I had covered one vane, I just cut the tape at the end of the vane and proceeded to the next vane (no need to stop, fold, fold etc and this way you will not end up with a tape that is too short).

I made sure that there was no adhesive part of the tape exposed (so as to not have coffee stick to it). Also, I wanted to have the tape extend a bit further along the vane and slightly onto the side of the centre section of the "star" in order for the vane to sweep the coffee into the dosing chamber instead of letting it end up under the centre section. The piece of tape that I had vut was long enough to cover three vanes, so I cut another piece of tape and repeated the above procedure to cover the remaining vanes.

I left around 5 mm of the double folded over tape extend over the bottom of the vane. Here's the star with the tapes attached and this effectively is the entire modification. Once you've done this, you just need to put the dosing mechanism back together and adjust the dose size smaller until the tape makes contact with the bottom of the doser. And there you are.



The small downside of the mod is that if you want to have a larger dose setting, you can naturally still adjust the doser to a larger dose but when you do, you take the sweep mod out of action because the upper part of the doser assembly will rise up along with the adjustment and the tape will no longer be in contact with the bottom of the doser. I do not consider this to be a problem because when you are grinding volumes where the doser actually becomes useful, the sweep mod is not a necessity anyway (in my opinion). The mod is useful for grind per shot (or two) use only. It is also worth noting that this mod can easily be undone - just rip off the strips of tape.

I have been working with this mod for a couple of days now and it seems to be holding up well. Also, the mod is effective and the doser sweep is clearly better as the picture to the right shows. The "before" sweep is on the left and "after" is on the right - there really are no grounds left in the doser after the mod.

One things that this picture does not show is the fact that some grounds do collect on top of the dosing mechanism (for the purposes of showing the effectiveness of sweep mod I had brushed them into the dosing chambers). This will the subject of one of the forthcoming mods...

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Killer said...

I enjoyed your site.

Thursday, July 14, 2005  
Blogger Teme said...

Thanks. It is always good to get feedback.

Br,
Teme

Thursday, July 14, 2005  
Anonymous Steffen said...

Great Mod, Teme! I will apply it to my Mazer Super Jolly tonight. After one month using this mod, are you still satisfied with it?

Steffen

Wednesday, August 24, 2005  
Blogger Teme said...

Hi Steffen!

Yes, I am still happy with the mod. I imagine that at some stage I may need to replace the tapes with new ones, but at least for now the mod works just as it did on the day I put in the tapes...

Br,
Teme

Wednesday, August 24, 2005  
Anonymous Bruce said...

Will plastic (flexible, non-fibrous)electrical tape work or do I need to use something with a woven fiber so that it is stiffer?

Sunday, October 23, 2005  
Blogger Teme said...

I used plastic tape, which was relatively thick but still quite soft. I folded it over to make it a bit stiffer. Generally I would say that the stiffer the tape is, the longer the mod will last before you need to replace the tape. On the other hand, the tape can also be too stiff (i.e. you ,might have trouble having it bend with the slope of the vanes towards the centre section in case you want this).

Br,
Teme

Monday, October 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Teme,

You did not specify whether you applied the tape to the leading or trailing edge of the vanes.

Ciao,
xtophr

Wednesday, November 16, 2005  
Blogger Teme said...

I applied the tape to the leading edge of the vanes. This way the vane partially supports the tape and makes it stiffer and hence improves the sweep...

Br,
Teme

Thursday, November 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome site! Thank you so much for posting such a detailed walkthrough. I really appreciate it. I did it last week and the results are night and day. Thanks again.
-happyboy-

Friday, December 02, 2005  
Blogger Teme said...

No problem, Happyboy. You are welcome.

Br,
Teme

Friday, December 02, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Just came across this site. Very nice I must say. I have a new Rotary Vertano that I just love. I am trying to learn as much as possible about HX machines and this site has been very informative.

I also have been using a Mazzer Mini for about 6 months and love it ( already thinging about upgrading to ther E after reading your review though). I liked your idea of adding the sweepers to the doser so much that I just did it to mine. After taking the vanes out and reading your very thorough instructions. I made a modification to your modification. Instead of adding the tape to the top vanes (adjustable vanes) I added tape to the lower one. This way I am able to make adjustments to the doser without disengaging my sweepers. (did you try this and find it to be a bad idea?) I also only added tape to two vanes as I usually send the doser fully around a few times anyway. Any thoughts?

Again, Sweet site and Keep it coming

Chris Parrott

Monday, March 27, 2006  
Blogger Teme said...

Thanks Chris. I hear the Vetrano is very nice machine indeed. Congratulations.

I did not try applying the tape to the lower vanes. As far as I remember (I no longer have the doser version of the Mazzer), the lower vanes do not come off and applying the tape to those is a bit more difficult. Also, I assume you will be unable to adjust the vanes to apply more pressure to the bottom of the doser for a cleaner sweep when the tapes start wearing out - on the other hand, you can always replace the tapes.

As regards upgrading to the Mini E, well, it has its benefits but the doser version has other benefits (even less clumping and better in high volume situations).

Good luck,
Teme

Tuesday, March 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi many thanks for this mod. i carried it out on my super jolly and it has worked very well.

Saturday, September 27, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.coffeegeek.com