#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; } Espresso Passione Espresso Passione: Setting up the GS3 - Part I

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Setting up the GS3 - Part I

Ok. The machine is out of the box and I have consulted the manuals. At 31kg (dry weight) the GS3 is slightly lighter than I remember the prototypes being, but still heavy enough to stay put. Lifting it onto the counter can be done by one person, just. Here's a photo showing the GS3 next to my Andreja just to give an idea of the size difference, which is surprisingly small considering that the GS3 has the (largish) dual boilers and the rotary pump inside.

I guess the weight difference between the production and the prototype GS3s is mainly due to the plastic side panels vs. the aluminium ones on the prototypes. The drip tray is also made of plastic with the exception of the outside finish and the cover (vs. all stainless on the prototypes).

As I mentioned earlier, the water reservoir is now in the base of the machine instead of being an integral part of the machine's chassis (as it was in the prototypes). To get access to the reservoir, one has to remove the drip tray, which is easy, and slide it out. You then pop open the fill cover and pour in the water. The reservoir takes 3 liters of water while the drip tray actually takes a bit more than this (I think).


The downside of the GS3's reservoir setup is that you cannot completely remove it for cleaning and you have no visual clue as to how much water you have left. The machine does remind you on its display of the need to refill, though. Also, the machine appears to be very sensitive as to how one re-inserts the reservoir (it doesn't necessarily recognise that it is in and continues displaying the "refill tank" reminder).

After filling the reservoir, I plugged the GS3 in and hit the main power switch (located at the back of the machine). One can then switch the machine on from the keypad and the autofill kicks in to fill both boilers. This happened surprisingly quickly and the machine started heating up.

As the saturated grouphead is an integral part of the brew boiler and also the highest point in it, this is where air ends up. One therefore has to bleed the air out much like one does with the radiators in the house. I opened the valve shown in the picture and ran the pump until water appeared from the valve. Then close the valve and replace the cap on the grouphead and you are more or less good to go.


I say more or less, because there are almost endless opportunities for tweaking the settings. I chose not to touch those initially apart from trying to change the "name" of the machine shown on the display. However, I noted that this didn't really work too well. I tried setting the name to "Teme's GS3", but the machine did not want to display this correctly. When trying to change the name back to the original "La Marzocco GS/3", the display does not show this correctly, either. A bug in the software?

Anyway, once the GS3 is fully heated up, the keypad lights up in a nice blue backlighting. The steam boiler settled to a max of 2 bar as specified in the manual. The steaming power is not on par with e.g. the FB80, but I am happy for this as I found the full blown commercial machines too strong for small quantities of milk (i.e. for home use). However, there is significantly more power than on my Andreja. The steaming tip is a four hole affair.

I then put in the blind filter to check what the brew pressure setting was. It topped off at just over 5 bar. No good. I assume that this setting is for when one direct connects the machine to a water line and the line pressure combined with the pump setting provides the appropriate brew pressure. I may be wrong. Nevertheless, I need to find a way to tweak the setting and the manual gives no clue on how to do this (and there aren't too many people around who can help me during the weekend). I tried removing the side panels to have peek inside (and to take a pic to see if anyone on the forums could help figure this out), but couldn't get them off. It looks like I will have to wait at least until tomorrow before I can brew a shot...

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Eric said...

5 bar? Sounds like you could have some air in the line? Just a guess. I am enthusiastically watching your progress as I would love to play with a GS3 :) I look forward to your first shot!

Saturday, February 10, 2007  
Blogger Teme said...

Hi Eric,

If it is air in the line, how would I go about removing it?

Br,
Teme

Saturday, February 10, 2007  
Anonymous Eric said...

Please understand that my enthusiasm (more that my experience) is compelling me to guess here :) Are you able to run enough water through the group while opening the bleed screw to get all the air out? It just doesn't seem like they would ship a machine out with it set to 5 bar when once would really like 12 or so. Please feel free to drop me a line at hayeses@gmail.com.

Saturday, February 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you feel like an astronaut traveling off into the unknown?

Thanks for keeping us informed about your trials and triumphs and the pictures are wonderful.

Saturday, February 10, 2007  
Anonymous Robert J (IMAWriter said...

Hi..Mark P posted an answer for you regarding pressure on CG.
personally, I think the choice of pour-over/direct connect is great...aside from the $$$...haha, our kitchen makes it impractical to plumb in.
Best of luck with "G"

Saturday, February 10, 2007  
Blogger Teme said...

Thanks Eric. You have mail :)

Br,
Teme

Saturday, February 10, 2007  
Blogger Teme said...

Thanks Robert. I saw Mark's response, which I think will be very helpful once I manage to get the sidepanel off the machine.

Br,
Teme (the astronaut :) )

Saturday, February 10, 2007  
Blogger Luca said...

Hi Teemu,

You might want to check the manual to see if the machine has the "chrono" function. This is a shot timer that comes up on the display. Of course, you lose the "Teme's GS3" or whatever. Just another cool little LM extra!

Cheers,

Luca

Sunday, February 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Teme,

great news... hopy you'll find a way to get inside the GS/3. I had exactly the same pressure issue with my Linea AV1, but the pressure screw was easy to access.

Kind Regards,
- Malte

Sunday, February 11, 2007  
Blogger Teme said...

Hi Luca,

Indeed the machine has the chronos function and when I disabled it (will turn it back on), the "name" is displayed correctly. However, you cannot have the name start with a space apparently...

Br,
Teme

Sunday, February 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.coffeegeek.com