#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; } Espresso Passione Espresso Passione: Robur-E in da house!

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Robur-E in da house!

Talk about taking a break from blogging.

A few things have happened, more of them in future posts. This is just a quick one on my new grinder, the Mazzer Robur-E and my previous one, the Mahlkönig K30 Vario.

The Mahlkönig was a very good grinder. The looks, the finish (especially of the customized version I had) and the ergonomics were excellent - way better than those of the Robur. The stepless adjustment is probably the best design I have seen in a grinder. Overall, I was really pleased with the K30 but there were two things that in the end drove me to the latest change - the lack of conical burrs and the clumping (although I think this could at least partially be fixed with a change of burrs).

Having now spent a few days with the Robur-E, does it live up to my expectations? Too early to say as I am still in the process of running the beast in. Kindly enough Kaffa Roastery had some test batches, old samples etc of coffee that were of no use to them and I managed to source 25 kilos of coffee for running in the Robur. I am halfway through this coffee and I am happy to already see that there is no clumping or static issues with the big Mazzer and the ground coffee is really fluffy and has an almost perfect initial distribution. The shots I have pulled and drunk using quality coffee also shows promise. But too early to draw any conclusions...

Below pic shows my espresso bar, but also gives an idea of the size of the Robur. It is huge compared to even the K30 :)

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Thorofasius said...

Duuude, that is one AWESOME espresso bar! Enjoy it!

Saturday, August 01, 2009  
Blogger Teme said...

Thanks, I'll do my best :)

I see that you have also taken the plunge with a Silvia and Rocky. They are both very good, so congrats on those!

Br,
Teme

Sunday, August 02, 2009  
Blogger WEO said...

I am from Canada. I have emailed you a while back. We emailed back and forth. I visited La Marzocco factory just before they moved up the road. I think I was the last visitor. (loads of pictures too) Are you still crazy about your GS/3? I can't wait to read about your new Mazzer Robur-E. Have you upgraded your software for the GS/3 to 1.13? After looking at your bar, I think I am going to have to allocate more room for mine when I build it.

Cheers
WEO

Monday, August 03, 2009  
Blogger Teme said...

Hi,

Yes, I still dig my GS3. I haven't upgraded the software to 1.13 yet, although I know it would bring some nice additional features (the rinse/backflush cycle for example).

As for the size of my espresso bar, I now have a bit more space because the Mahlkönig is no longer there. The width of the countertop is 120cm (about 4 feet) and I while I could probably manage with less if needed, I wouldn't want go for anything smaller...

Br,
Teme

Monday, August 03, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there,

I am just a random person, but i would like to say. I did enjoy reading your blog and been waiting for so long to see an update of your blog. PLEASE keep it up !! if you can LOL

Tuesday, August 18, 2009  
Anonymous Wee Chuan said...

Gosh, the Mazzer Robur is so huge...made my Jolly looks so baby indeed

Thursday, September 24, 2009  
Blogger Jacob said...

congrats Teemu

Jacob

Monday, November 16, 2009  
Anonymous Sunnyfield said...

Hi Teme - What's the verdict on the Robur-E after half a year? K30 or Robur-E?

Cheers
Sunnyfield

Friday, January 15, 2010  
Blogger Teme said...

Now that the K30 has seen the clumping sorted, I'd say that for home use I actually think I'd rather have the K30.

Why? Well, mainly because the Robur wastes a lot of coffee (200-300 euros worth per year more than the K30 in my estimation). I also think the K30 is even better built, looks better, has a better grind adjustment mechanism as well as better ergonomics.

Taste? We did a comparo between the Robur, K30, Versalab and Super Caimano and although the test itself was inconclusive, it was clear that the taste differences really were tiny (even though the extraction did appear slightly smoother with the Robur).

I think that with the small volume in home use the Robur just does not get in its stride. You need a commercial environment for it really start shining. This is of course just my humble opinion (and in espresso-only use).

Br,
Teme

Friday, January 15, 2010  
Anonymous Sunnyfield said...

That answers a lot of my questions actually! I am drawn to the K30 as well, since I only drink espresso at home. I may have the chance to pick up a Nuova Simonelli Mythos cheaply, but it is a monster in size. Unfortunately there are hardly any user reviews out there.

Thanks - Sunnyfield

Saturday, January 16, 2010  
Anonymous VZ said...

Hi Teme,

thanks for the clarification about the k30. Have you seen how much clumps (if it does it) with the new update? Are the grounds completely fluffy?

You said that taste differences between K30 planar burrs and Robur conicals are tiny... however, what about channeling? I've read countless times that conicals burrs provides almost "automatically shots" -very easy to dial and almost channeling free- how's compare the K30 and Robur in this aspect?

Much thanks!

Friday, March 05, 2010  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.coffeegeek.com