#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; } Espresso Passione Espresso Passione: Balance Brewer

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Balance Brewer

Out of curiosity I purchased this little new toy. If you are not familiar with these, it is a Balance Brewer. It is basically a Vacuum Brewer that just looks a bit fancier than you "average" vac pot.

So far I have only tried this baby a couple of times, but it is actually surprisingly easy to use (although fairly difficult to clean). So far I have found that the grind needs to be suprisingly fine and that for ideal results - at least with this unit - one will want to use pre-boiled water and also extend the brew time slightly by holding the vessel on the right down (by lifting up the counterweight on the left) for an extra 30 secs or so. This way you will get stronger coffee - both due to the longer brew time, but also due to getting more of the water from the pot on the right to shift to the glass on the right.

The temperatures seem to be good as I have not detected bitterness in the cup, i.e. it appears to cool down sufficiently from the boil while making its way through the siphon tube.


What I have detected is a clear and clean cup of very tasty coffee. Better than I have ever managed with a French Press. And the Balance Brewer certainly looks the part - and I suspect it will be a nice conversation piece over a good after dinner coffee.

Any downsides? It's early days, but I've already mentioned cleaning. It takes a bit of time but is manageable (although I would not use this on a daily basis). The bigger gripe for me is the little faucet used for dispensing the brewed coffee. It is fairly small and it takes a while (too long in my opinion) to serve the coffee. The maximum capacity of this unit is around 400ml and there is a bit less of the finished product. So no this cannot be used to entertain larger groups (although larger units are available).

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

Lovely machine. May I ask you, where did you buy it?

Friday, January 08, 2010  
Blogger Teme said...

Thanks. I bought it from eBay (the seller was called "coffeeutensil" if I recall correctly and they ship worldwide. It was a pleasant transaction and the price reasonable.

Br,
Teme

Tuesday, January 12, 2010  
Blogger Rob Berghmans said...

Although I don't know where it comes from, but they call it a Belgian Coffee Brewer and we Belgians are proud of this.

David Pedde show cased it last year at the USBC finals and people loved it.

Greetz from Belgium.
Rob
Antwerp Barista.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010  
Anonymous Mun said...

The first time I saw one was in 2007 and managed to get my hands on one unit the same year. First use and I had fallen in love with it ever since and so much so that I started selling them recently.

The site carries a couple of different models and I am adding more models as time permits since I'm not doing this full time yet.

Cheers,
Mun

Friday, March 05, 2010  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.coffeegeek.com